India, Russia sign pact for Smerch rockets
New Delhi: India and Russia have tied up for a joint venture to manufacture Smerch rockets.
A memorandum of understanding for starting the joint venture was signed between India`s Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and Russia`s Rosoboronexport and Splav SPA here on Monday, the Defence Ministry said on Tuesday.
The technology for the five versions of Smerch rockets will come from Russia.
"OFB signed a MoU for a joint venture with Rosoboronexport and Splav SPA to manufacture five versions of Smerch Rockets based on the technology received from Russia," a ministry statement said.
Smerch rockets are a hi-tech weapon system with a range of 70-80 km.
"The MoU, duly approved by Defence Minister AK Antony, has been signed by three parties in New Delhi," it said.
After indigenising the technology of Smerch rockets, OFB will attain new heights in manufacturing of the advanced rocket system, it added.
Russia is India`s largest defence partner with over 70 percent of Indian armed forces equipment coming from that country.
The two nations already have a successful joint venture in the design, development and manufacture of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles.
They have also tied up for the joint design and development of the fifth generation fighter aircraft and the medium transport aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read