India, Russia to conduct war games in August
New Delhi: Indian and Russian troops will carry out counter-terrorism drills during joint war games `INDRA-2012` close to Russia`s boundary with China and Mongolia in August.
India and Russia have been engaging each other in the INDRA series of exercises held between the armies and the navies of the two countries.
The fourth round of the exercises involving the two armies -- Indra 2012 -- will engage over 250 troops from both the sides and will be conducted at a training range in eastern Russia, close to Mongolia-China border, Army officials said here.
The two sides have also decided to make INDRA series of joint Army exercises an annual affair which will be held alternatively in India and Russia, they said.
India and Russia have so far conducted three rounds of INDRA exercises. The first exercise was carried out in 2005 in Rajasthan, followed by `Prshkov` in Russia. The third exercise was conducted at Chaubattia in Kumaon hills in 2010.
The two sides were supposed to hold the exercise last year also but the joint drills were called off by Moscow at the last moment resulting in a gap of one year in 2011.
Since 2003, India and Russia have conducted five of the INDRA-series joint ground and naval exercises. The last such exercise was held between the two countries` army units in India in October 2010.
The naval exercises were also called off last year after Indian warships reached Russian waters which excused itself from the war games citing the tsunami relief operations in Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list