India, Russia to conduct war games in August
New Delhi: Indian and Russian troops will carry out counter-terrorism drills during joint war games `INDRA-2012` close to Russia`s boundary with China and Mongolia in August.
India and Russia have been engaging each other in the INDRA series of exercises held between the armies and the navies of the two countries.
The fourth round of the exercises involving the two armies -- Indra 2012 -- will engage over 250 troops from both the sides and will be conducted at a training range in eastern Russia, close to Mongolia-China border, Army officials said here.
The two sides have also decided to make INDRA series of joint Army exercises an annual affair which will be held alternatively in India and Russia, they said.
India and Russia have so far conducted three rounds of INDRA exercises. The first exercise was carried out in 2005 in Rajasthan, followed by `Prshkov` in Russia. The third exercise was conducted at Chaubattia in Kumaon hills in 2010.
The two sides were supposed to hold the exercise last year also but the joint drills were called off by Moscow at the last moment resulting in a gap of one year in 2011.
Since 2003, India and Russia have conducted five of the INDRA-series joint ground and naval exercises. The last such exercise was held between the two countries` army units in India in October 2010.
The naval exercises were also called off last year after Indian warships reached Russian waters which excused itself from the war games citing the tsunami relief operations in Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31