India, Russia to conduct war games in August
New Delhi: Indian and Russian troops will carry out counter-terrorism drills during joint war games `INDRA-2012` close to Russia`s boundary with China and Mongolia in August.
India and Russia have been engaging each other in the INDRA series of exercises held between the armies and the navies of the two countries.
The fourth round of the exercises involving the two armies -- Indra 2012 -- will engage over 250 troops from both the sides and will be conducted at a training range in eastern Russia, close to Mongolia-China border, Army officials said here.
The two sides have also decided to make INDRA series of joint Army exercises an annual affair which will be held alternatively in India and Russia, they said.
India and Russia have so far conducted three rounds of INDRA exercises. The first exercise was carried out in 2005 in Rajasthan, followed by `Prshkov` in Russia. The third exercise was conducted at Chaubattia in Kumaon hills in 2010.
The two sides were supposed to hold the exercise last year also but the joint drills were called off by Moscow at the last moment resulting in a gap of one year in 2011.
Since 2003, India and Russia have conducted five of the INDRA-series joint ground and naval exercises. The last such exercise was held between the two countries` army units in India in October 2010.
The naval exercises were also called off last year after Indian warships reached Russian waters which excused itself from the war games citing the tsunami relief operations in Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth