India, Russia to hold `Exercise INDRA`
New Delhi: Indian Army troops will proceed to
Russia later this year for participating in the annual INDRA
series of exercise between the two armies.
Moscow had called off the exercise scheduled to be held in
June last year in Russia. An exercise between the navies of
the two sides was also cancelled after Russia cited the
engagement of their ships in rescue operations in Tsunami-hit
An Indian Army team is in Russia to hold discussions with
its counterparts to prepare for the INDRA 2012 exercise
planned to be held around the middle of the year there, Army
officials said here.
During the visit, the Indian team will also see the area
where the exercises are supposed to be held, they said.
Since 2003, India and Russia have conducted five of the
INDRA-series joint ground and naval exercises. The last such
exercise was held between the two countries` army units in
India in October 2010.
Meanwhile, Indian is also engaging armies of Singapore and
Indonesia in war games to learn from each other`s experience
of counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations.
A platoon-level exercise, consisting 30 troops, would be
held with the Indonesian Army at the Counter Insurgency and
Jungle Warfare School (CIJWS) at Vairangte in Mizoram from
February 12, the officials said.
During the 22-day exercise, troops from Indian and
Indonesian armies will participate in several joint drills and
exercise to hone their skills in counter insurgency and
counter terrorism, they added.
With Singapore, the Indian Army will conduct its annual
round of joint training codenamed as `Bold Kurukshetra` at
Babina in Uttar Pradesh in March.
The exercise will focus on joint training of mechanised
infantry force. Over 500 soldiers from the Singapore Army will
participate in the war-games, the officials said.
Singapore will send its own tanks at Babina to practise
manoeuvring of tanks in Indian conditions which is different
from their own landscape, they added.
This year India would conduct joint training and exercises
with 15 countries including some key developed countries and
Among top global powers, the exercises would be conducted
with armies of US, Russia and France while in the immediate
neighbourhood Bangladesh will come to India to learn from its
over five decades of experience of counter terrorism and urban
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'