India, Russia to ink defence deals worth USD 4 billion
Moscow: India and Russia will sign defence
deals worth USD 4 billion for purchase of 29 more carrier
based MiG-29Ks as well as ink the final agreement for joint
manufacture of fifth generation fighters during Prime Minister
Vladimir Putin`s forthcoming visit to India.
The umbrella contract would also include the final
delivery agreement for the long-delayed aircraft carrier
Admiral Gorshkov, under which New Delhi would shell out an
additional USD 2.35 billion for the upgradation of the carrier
and training of Indian naval crews, financial daily `Vedomosti
The Russian strongman would be in New Delhi on March
11-12 at the invitation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and
in the course of this visit all three agreement are likely to
signed, the paper said.
The carrier, which has been rechristened INS
Vikramaditya is now scheduled to be delivered by 2013. India
would pay another USD 1.2-billion for the new naval
The new MiGs will be in addition to 16 jets already to
be delivered under a contract signed in 2004 as part of the
Gorshkov deal. The first of these maritime fighters have
already been inducted by the Indian Navy.
The Vikramaditya is currently undergoing repairs and
refit at the Sevmash shipyard in Russia.
Under the new agreement on Gorshkov refit, additional
money would be made available to Sevmash shipyard to step up
The two countries are also close to the signing of the
commercial contracts for setting up multi-billion joint
venture for the joint development and production of fifth
generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) and multi-role transport
India will also acquire 40 more Sukhoi Su-30MKI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'