India, Russia working out modalities to upgrade BrahMos
Coimbatore: India and Russia are working
out modalities for increasing speed of the BrahMos missile
from super sonic to hypersonic, a top Brahmos Aerospace
executive said here on Saturday.
This upgrade will take at least five years since it
requires modification of scramjet engine, technology,
reduction size and weight, Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, Chief
Executive Officer and Managing Director of the Indo-Russian
joint venture company said.
The budget for the project is yet to be estimated,
Pillai said adding it was too early to go into details.
On the air version of BrahMos for IAF, he said it will
be ready by 2012 and tested at SAR platform of Sukhoi 30.
After the induction of this version, India will be the
only country which will have supersonic missiles in all the
defence forces, Pillai said. BrahMos missile have already
been inducted into Army and Navy.
He said scientists have successfully conducted the
steep dive test of BrahMos missile, making the missile a
multi-faceted and multi-discipline, since it had all variants
of land to land, sea to land, land to sea and sea to sea.
Pillai, here to release a book, also said the Defence
Research and Development Organisation has developed a laser
sensor, which was capable of testing blood sugar levels
without touching a drop of blood.
The device, expected to ready for production in six
months, could be placed even on the wrist watch worn by a
person, Pillai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA