India says cancellation of visa of 500 Pakistani pilgrims was to ensure their safety
New Delhi: India has said that the cancellation of Visa of 500 Pakistani pilgrims has been done as a measure of precaution to ensuretheir safety and welfare.
External affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin has said that the visit of such a large group of pilgrims from Pakistan would have required much more elaborate arrangements than what is usually done for such events.
"All government agencies including our railway authorities had made full arrangement to transport over 500 pilgrims from Pakistan, from the Attari railway station, to Ajmer and back," he added.
Pakistan reportedly lodged strong protest with India over its refusal to grant visas to 500 Pakistani pilgrims desiring to visit Hazrat Khawaja Moinuddin Chishti`s shrine in Ajmer on the occasion of Urs.
According to The Dawn, spokesperson of the Foreign office, Tasneem Aslam said in a statement that the Indian deputy high commissioner was summoned to the foreign office today, and a protest was lodged.
She said that the visits to religious shrines in Pakistan and India are governed under the bilateral protocol on visits to the religious shrines, 1974.
Expressing disappointment over the denial of visas by the Indian government, the spokesperson said that this is the fourth time that visas have been denied to Pakistani pilgrims in the last one year.
Aslam added that while the decision was not against the bilateral agreement, it however ran contrary to the efforts towards normalising ties between the two countries and the spirit of people-to-people contacts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read