India scouting for sites to store N-waste
New Delhi: In a first initiative of its
kind, India has begun scouting for deep underground sites to
store for several decades the nuclear waste generated from its
burgeoning atomic power programme.
As a first step, the Department of Atomic Energy will set
up an underground laboratory in one of its uranium mines to
study qualities of the rock at the mine bottom to decide
whether it can be used to store nuclear waste.
"We are looking for a rock formation that is geologically
stable, totally impervious and without any fissures," Atomic
Energy Commission Chairman Srikumar Banerjee told reporters
He said the DAE plans to set up the underground facility
during the 12th Plan Period for studying the Deep Geological
Repository to store the high level nuclear waste.
The site should not have experienced any event in
recorded history and should have a cooling mechanism using air
draft as the nuclear waste would generate decay heat, which
has to be removed.
However, as Indian atomic programme is committed to
follow the closed fuel cycle the final nuclear waste may not
have long half-life as is the case with some other countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Preggers Mira Rajput admitted to hospital; hubby Shahid Kapoor's parents hurry to meet bahu!
- 'Spit remark' on PV Sindhu's achievements: Director says fans didn't get his satire, gets TROLLED again
- 2016 Hyundai Elantra: Check out features and specifications
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India Result 2016; Check icsi.edu for ICSI CS Executive Result 2016 declared
- Avoid getting sick this monsoon with these top health tips!