India seeks early reform of UN Security Council
United Nations: India has underlined the need
for an early reform of the powerful UN Security Council "to
reflect the contemporary reality".
K Rahman Khan, the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha,
discussed the crucial issue during his nearly 30-minute
meeting with UN General Assembly President Nassir Abdulaziz
Al-Nasser at the UN headquarters here.
Khan stressed the need for early reform of the 15-member
body "to reflect contemporary reality".
Last month, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his
address to the General Assembly had made a powerful call for
an early reform and expansion of the Security Council.
During his meeting with Khan, Al-Nasser said he would
encourage the process of reform during his term as UNGA
He said he had re-appointed Ambassador Zahir Tanin as
Chairman of the inter-Governmental Negotiations on Security
India, which joined the UN in 1945, is a non-permanent
member of the UNSC elected to serve from 2011 to 2012.
Al-Nasser said he looked forward to continued support
from India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Singh
Puri in the current session.
On Wednesday, Deputy Chairman of the Indian upper House,
addressed 66th session of the General Assembly, in which he
had called for a global effort to combat terrorism, describing
it as a "scourge of humanity".
Khan invited AL-Nasser to visit India who said he was
looking forward to such a visit in February 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks