India seeks greater role for UNGA in decision making process
United Nations: India has underlined the
need for the UN General Assembly to play a greater role in the
decision making process of the world body, saying countries
should take concrete measures to reinforce the authority of
"India has underlined that the General Assembly should
play a greater role in the selection of the Secretary-General
of the UN," Hardeep Singh Puri, India`s envoy to the UN said
The General Assembly can be revitalised only when its
position as the chief deliberative, policy-making and
representative organ of the United Nations is respected both
in letter and in spirit, he said.
"The GA should take the lead in setting the global
agenda and restoring the centrality of the United Nations in
formulating multilateral approaches to resolving transnational
issues," he added.
Puri also said the Security Council is "overburdened"
and some of the issues that are "not directly connected to the
real and immediate threats to international peace and
security" could be discussed in the General Assembly.
"This has left the Council with less time to focus on
the real hot-spots that constitute the real threats to
international peace and security," he said.
On the subject of selecting the Secretary-General,
Puri said General Assembly needed to play a bigger role in the
process. It will have to be the General Assembly that claws
back its rightful place in the process of selecting the
Secretary-General," he said.
Under the current process, the Security Council
recommends a candidate for the General Assembly to appoint.
While all the countries can vote on the selection, the five
permanent members of the Security Council only can veto a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city