India seeks higher Haj quota
New Delhi: India has sought an increase of 10,000 in this year`s Haj quota. The request was made by Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed to Saudi Haj Minister Bandar Najar, when the two met in Jeddah.
"We requested the minister to accommodate an additional 10,000 people this year," an official accompanying Ahamed said, over phone from Jeddah, where the ministers met Saturday.
Every year, India sends 170,000 pilgrims for the Haj. This year, Haj falls in October.
In view of high demand for the pilgrimage, the Indian government urged Saudi authorities to increase the quota of pilgrims.
However, it appears like the Saudi government might find it hard to accede to India`s request, as there is a heavy rush of pilgrims from all over the world.
Last year, over 3.5 million pilgrims performed the Haj. The pilgrimage is one of five "pillars" of Islam, and the faithful are encouraged to perform it at least once in their lifetime.
The Saudi minister assured Ahamed that he would consider the request favourably.
The two ministers also discussed arrangements for the Haj as well as the facilities provided to Indian pilgrims during their 30-day stay in the Saudi kingdom.
Saudi authorities have undertaken massive expansion plans for the two holy mosques, which are expected to be completed in two years. Once expansion work is complete, the mosque in Mecca would be equipped to accommodate more than 1.2 million pilgrims at one time.
This year, 125,000 pilgrims will go to the Haj through the Haj Committee of India (HCI), while remaining pilgrims will make it through various private tour operators.
The government has made it clear that pilgrims cannot go to the Haj through the Haj Committee of India more than once.
The Indian government provides huge subsidy to pilgrims who travel through the Haj Committee of India.
The centre offers around Rs.600 crore in subsidy for the travel of the pilgrims.
Pilgrims are ferried by Air India, which also hires the services of Saudi airlines to carry pilgrims in more than 300 special flights to Jeddah and Medina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh