‘India seeks its rightful role on world stage’
Dallas: Noting that India is acting as a responsible stakeholder in the international system, New Delhi`s UN envoy has a made a strong case for a governance architecture that accommodates and acknowledges its contribution and potential.
"If the evolving multilateral world were to truly value India`s role and views, there need to be some fundamental developments taking place in the near future," India`s Permanent UN Representative Hardeep Singh Puri said in a valedictory speech at the Naveen Jindal School of Management at University of Texas here on Friday.
"By any objective criteria such as population, territorial size, GDP, economic potential, civilizational legacy, cultural diversity, political system and past and ongoing contributions to the activities of the UN - especially to UN peacekeeping operations - India is eminently suited for permanent membership of an expanded UN Security Council," he said.
Noting that India has affirmed its willingness and capacity to shoulder the responsibilities and obligations of permanent membership, Puri said reform of the Bretton Woods institutions too have to be undertaken immediately.
"We need a more representative international financial architecture, with an increase in the voice and representation of developing countries," he said.
"The need of the hour is also the establishment of a just international monetary system that serves the interests of all countries. Reform is also badly needed at the World Bank," Puri said.
Acknowledging that there are no objective formulae for calibrating India`s efforts, "and a lot will depend on factors over which India has virtually no control," he assured that India will not be found wanting.
"The question is can the international community rise up to the challenge," he asked voicing the hope for "a governance architecture that accommodates and acknowledges India`s contribution and potential."
This requires both an attitudinal change as well as structural adjustments to international institutions to better reflect contemporary realities, Puri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark