India seeks political solution to crisis in Syria
Washington: Voicing concern over the present
situation in Syria, India has sought a "peaceful and inclusive
political process" to address the grievances of the people of
"India is deeply concerned with the present situation in
Syria that has resulted in the deaths of thousands of
civilians and security forces personnel over the last eleven
months," said Vinay Kumar, the Acting Permanent Representative
of India at the United Nations on Tuesday.
"The problem in Syria being primarily political in
nature, India has, from the beginning of the protests, called
for a peaceful and inclusive political process to address the
grievances of all sections of Syrian society," Kumar said
addressing a meeting of the UN General Assembly.
"We strongly condemn all violence, irrespective of
whoever the perpetrators are. We also condemn all violations
of human rights. India holds the rights of expression and
peaceful assembly among the fundamental values that should be
respected, while ensuring stability and security of the
society," he said.
Kumar noted that India was firmly of the view that a
political process for resolution of the present crisis should
be led by the Syrians themselves.
New Delhi believes that the main role of the
international community is to facilitate engagement of the
Syrian Government with all sections of Syrian society for an
inclusive political process, taking into account the
legitimate aspirations of all Syrians while ensuring respect
for the country`s sovereignty, unity and territorial
integrity, he said.
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Forest fires threaten to wipe out 1,500 villages in Uttarakhand, NDRF, IAF step in to mitigate crisis, govt issues alert
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP
- Beware, women! Stress can worsen HPV infection