India seeks `real improvements` in UNSC working methods
United Nations: India, which currently holds the Presidency of the UN Security Council, has pushed for "real improvements" in the working methods and reform in the composition of the 15-nation body, saying that mere "cosmetic changes" will not enhance its credibility and efficiency.
Days before India`s term as President of the Council ends, it organised an open debate here yesterday on the working methods of the UNSC.
"Genuine reform in the working methods of the Security Council requires a comprehensive reform in the membership of the Council, with expansion in both permanent and non-permanent categories, not only improvement in its working procedures.
"This is essential both for the credibility and continued confidence of the international community in this institution," India`s Permanent Representative, Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri, said in his remarks.
With its two-year term as a non-permanent member of the Council ending this year, India has been working with other UN member states in pressing for expansion in the permanent and non-permanent categories of the UNSC to reflect contemporary realities.
Puri said over the years, there has been growing realisation that the Council`s composition, "rooted in the situation obtaining in 1945", as well as its working methods are "divorced from contemporary reality of international relations."
"These are exemplified by the fact that the Council has shown little interest in consulting with those affected most by its decisions and in adopting transparent and inclusive rules of procedures that remain `provisional` even after the Council`s existence for six and a half decades.
The Council has also not acted to harness the capabilities of the wider UN membership," he said.
The international community has to be cognisant that enlarging the Security Council to reflect contemporary geopolitical realities would improve its representative character and grant greater legitimacy and credibility to its decisions, Puri said.
"There is need for real improvement in its working methods to enhance the Council`s effectiveness and efficiency. We believe that cosmetic changes to working methods alone will not help. Real improvements need change in both process and approach, which requires reform of the composition of the Council," the Indian envoy said.
Puri added that the Council`s "all too evident eagerness" to apply methods of coercion has proved to be counter-productive in resolving several crises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!