India seeks regular consular access to Sarabjit Singh
Islamabad: India on Sunday sought "regular consular access" to death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who is in a coma in a Lahore hospital following a brutal assault, after Pakistani authorities imposed restrictions on meeting him.
"Indian officials were given access to Sarabjit Singh only once. Thereafter, there has been no access to Sarabjit Singh," an official of the Indian High Commission told PTI.
"The matter has been taken up with the Pakistani side and the Foreign Office has been requested to give us regular consular access to Sarabjit Singh," said the official.
Two officials of the Indian High Commission were allowed to visit Sarabjit, who is in an intensive care unit in Lahore`s Jinnah Hospital, only for a few minutes early on Saturday.
Subsequently, the Pakistani side informed the Indians that the consular access granted on Friday was meant for only one visit, sources told PTI.
The Indian side then took up the issue with their Pakistani counterparts, saying that Indian officials should be allowed unhindered access to Sarabjit in view of his condition, the sources said.
Talks were going on between the two sides on this issue.
Sarabjit, 49, was admitted to Jinnah Hospital on Friday after he was attacked by at least six other prisoners within his barrack at Kot Lakhpat Jail.
Sources said he was hit on the head with bricks and his face and torso cut with weapons fashioned from spoons and pieces of ghee tins.
The Indian national was convicted by a Pakistani court for alleged involvement in a string of bombing in Punjab that killed 14 people in 1990.
Sarabjit`s family says he is the victim of mistaken identity and had inadvertently strayed across the border in an inebriated state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof