India seeks statements of 13 aides of Headley, Rana
New Delhi: India has asked the US to provide statements of 13 people associated with Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist David Headley and his accomplice in Mumbai terror attack case Tahawwur Hussain Rana as they could be potential witnesses.
Highly placed government sources said during the third Indo-US strategic dialogue held in Washington last week, India actively pursued the issues related to the 26/11 attack, involvement of Headley and Rana in it and sought America`s cooperation to take the case to its logical conclusion.
While reminding about the Letters Rogatory sent by India, New Delhi asked Washington to provide statements of 13 people, including Headley`s wife Shazia, a few of his friends, close associates of Rana and US government officials known to the LeT terrorist.
"These 13 people are potential witnesses in the NIA case filed against Headley and Rana," the sources said.
The US told India that they would consider New Delhi`s request but conveyed that one or two people are currently based in Canada.
The request was made by External Affairs Minister S M Krishna to his American counterpart Hillary Clinton during the Indo-US strategic dialogue.
Krishna had said, "India`s interest in further access to Headley and Rana, in accordance with our legal procedures, for the investigations into the Mumbai terror attack of November 2008, was raised" during the talks.
The NIA on December 24, 2011 had charge-sheeted Headley and Rana for allegedly entering into criminal conspiracy with LeT to commit terrorist acts in Delhi and other places in India. (More)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued