India seeks USD 48,000 compensation from Nepal
Kathmandu: A state-owned security printing
press from India has demanded USD 48,000 compensation from the
government for the loss suffered due to the unilateral
cancellation of a deal to supply smart passports for Nepal,
following pressure from Nepalese political parties.
Security Printing and Minting Corporation India Ltd.
has sent a letter to Nepal`s Ministry of Foreign Affairs
seeking USD 48,000 compensation for the loss caused due to the
cancellation of the order to supply Machine Readable Passports
(MRP) at the last minute, according to Foreign Ministry
The Indian company had claimed that it had began
procuring paper, ink and other necessary logistic supplies
from international market as per the deal.
Indian Ambassador to Nepal Rakesh Sood and Foreign
Secretary Madan Kumar Bhattarai had signed a letter of
exchange on March 25 to supply some 3 million smart passports.
The government later cancelled the order under Maoists
pressure and called for a fresh tender. French company
Oberther won the tender as it had submitted the lowest bid.
Even as India and Nepal have open borders, New Delhi
has been concerned that international terrorist networks,
particularly those supported by the Pakistani spy agency ISI,
were using the porous border to push arms, narcotics and
As such, India has sought to incorporate special
security features in Nepali passports so as to make it
difficult to tamper.
However, Nepal`s coalition government cancelled the
contract after pressure from its own allies as well as the
main opposition Maoist party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill