India sending humanitarian food assistance to Yemen
New Delhi: India is extending humanitarian food assistance comprising rice to Yemen following UN appeal to international community to assist that country.
The first consignment is scheduled to reach the Port of Hodaidah, Yemen on July 13, 2012, Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement here on Monday. However, the statement did not mention the quantity.
"India and Yemen have traditionally enjoyed close relations. In keeping with this, Government of India is extending humanitarian food assistance comprising rice to the Republic of Yemen. The first consignment is scheduled to reach the Port of Hodaidah, Yemen on July 13, 2012," it said.
Owing to developments affecting the Yemeni economy adversely, the United Nations has requested the international community to assist Yemen of which food assistance is a crucial component, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test