India sends humanitarian aid to Kyrgyzstan
New Delhi: India will send two plane loads of
humanitarian aid material to violence-hit Kyrgyzstan on Friday ,
about two weeks after over 100 Indian students were evacuated
from the Central Asian nation`s southern towns hit by ethnic
"In response to the appeal by the Kyrgyz government, the
government of India has decided to provide urgent humanitarian
aid to the people of Kyrgyzstan, in their hour of need," an
External Affairs Ministry release said here yesterday.
The assistance would consist of food, medicines and tents
and these would be sent to Kyrgyz city Osh by two Indian Air
Force`s IL-76 heavy lift transport aircraft beginning
"While one IL-76 will leave tomorrow for Osh carrying
about 50 tonnes of aid material, another aircraft will fly out
from here in a few days," an IAF official said yesterday.
The supplies, the External Affairs Ministry release said,
would be delivered to the Ministry of Emergency Situations of
Kyrgyzstan at Osh through the Indian Embassy.
It said India had been closely following recent internal
developments in Kyrgyzstan, a friendly country in the extended
"We are happy to note that calm has returned to southern
Kyrgyzstan after the unfortunate incidents of violence in
mid-June. The events, however, left thousands in need of
urgent humanitarian assistance," it added.
In the middle of the internal strife, India had to
evacuate over 100 Indian students, who were trapped in ethnic
violence-hit southern Kyrgyz cities of Osh and Jalalabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre