India serious about extraditing Headley: Ex NSA
Chennai: Amid a US cable leaks controversy on
extradition of LeT operative David Headley, former National
Security Advisor and West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan today
said the country was serious in getting him extradited.
"There is no question about the fact that we are serious
about his extradition. We are interested about information
about him," Narayanan told reporters here in response to
leaked US communication on whistleblower Wikileaks.
According to WikiLeaks, in a cable to the US State
Department on December 17, 2009, then US Ambassador to India
Timothy J Roemer had said Narayanan had told him on the issue
of Headley`s extradition that it was "difficult not to be seen
making the effort," but that the government was not seeking
extradition "at this time."
The former NSA declined to comment on the communication
between US officials and said any questions and doubts on this
issue should be addressed to the US officials.
Asked about the cable quoting him as saying that India`s
demand for Headley`s extradition was "just political
posturing," Narayanan said neither he nor anyone else could
believe that there was such a possibility.
The former IB chief insisted that US officials should be
asked as to what made them write so and reiterated India`s
"right intentions" to bring Headley to India while holding
that what the Americans write is "up to them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam