India serious in fight against corruption: Prez
Vienna: President Pratibha Devisingh Patil, who is on a four-day state visit to Austria, has said India was serious about tackling corruption and would soon join the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA) to combat the issue effectively.
"India is actively considering to become a member of the International Anti- corruption Academy. India wants to effectively and seriously deal with this corruption issue," said Patil.
The Anti-Corruption Academy is situated in Laxenburg, 15 kilometre from Vienna, is largely an educational body that aims to overcome shortcomings in knowledge and practice in the field of anti-corruption.
Patil further said that India was taking a keen interest in bringing reforms in the United Nations if the Security Council wished to react effectively to the re-emerging collective security challenges.
"India strongly believes that it is an urgent need to reform the United Nations. The Security Council needs to be restructured to reflect the contemporary realities, if it wishes to react effectively to the re-emerging collective security challenges," added Patil.
India and Austria on Wednesday signed two Memoranda of Understanding (MoU), one on technology specific cooperation in the field of railways and the second on cooperation in science and technology.
"We have signed two memorandums of understanding today. One in technology of specific co-operation in the field of railways and the second in co-operation in science and technology," she said.
The MoU on technology specific cooperation in the field of railways was signed between the Ministry of Railways (Government of India) and Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology of the Republic of Austria.
This will enable the extension of India``s rail capacity, extension of rail lines, modernisation of infrastructure and rolling stock. The agreement also includes technical assistance by providing specialised professionals, technicians and training of railways staff. It also will lead to supply of railway equipment and railway material.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Supreme Court bans diesel, petrol cabs in Delhi-NCR from May 1
- SHOCKING! Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Haryana - WATCH VIDEO
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to star in Ajay Devgn's ‘Baadshaho’?
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept