India serious in fight against corruption: Prez
Vienna: President Pratibha Devisingh Patil, who is on a four-day state visit to Austria, has said India was serious about tackling corruption and would soon join the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA) to combat the issue effectively.
"India is actively considering to become a member of the International Anti- corruption Academy. India wants to effectively and seriously deal with this corruption issue," said Patil.
The Anti-Corruption Academy is situated in Laxenburg, 15 kilometre from Vienna, is largely an educational body that aims to overcome shortcomings in knowledge and practice in the field of anti-corruption.
Patil further said that India was taking a keen interest in bringing reforms in the United Nations if the Security Council wished to react effectively to the re-emerging collective security challenges.
"India strongly believes that it is an urgent need to reform the United Nations. The Security Council needs to be restructured to reflect the contemporary realities, if it wishes to react effectively to the re-emerging collective security challenges," added Patil.
India and Austria on Wednesday signed two Memoranda of Understanding (MoU), one on technology specific cooperation in the field of railways and the second on cooperation in science and technology.
"We have signed two memorandums of understanding today. One in technology of specific co-operation in the field of railways and the second in co-operation in science and technology," she said.
The MoU on technology specific cooperation in the field of railways was signed between the Ministry of Railways (Government of India) and Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology of the Republic of Austria.
This will enable the extension of India``s rail capacity, extension of rail lines, modernisation of infrastructure and rolling stock. The agreement also includes technical assistance by providing specialised professionals, technicians and training of railways staff. It also will lead to supply of railway equipment and railway material.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot