‘India set to become most populous nation by 2025’
New Delhi: India is set to become the most populous nation by 2025 and face many new challenges, if population continued to grow at the current rate.
These concerns were expressed by Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Ajay Maken on Monday at the “National Workshop on Youth for Population Stabilisation”, held to mark World Population Day at Vigyan Bhawan, where youth were urged to spread the message of population stabilisation.
The workshop, jointly organised by Jansankhya Sthirta Kosh (National Population Stabilisation Fund) of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, called for urgent steps to stabilise population in view of the limited available resources within the country.
Inaugurating the workshop, Maken said it was estimated that India would have a population of 139 crore by 2025, when it would surpass China too.
The Minister, however, said if population growth was a challenge for all of us, it could also be converted into an opportunity as the average age in India by 2020 would be one among the lowest. “Average age in India would be 29 years by 2020, while that in China 37 years and Japan 48 years. This would help young India convert this challenge into an opportunity.”
For achieving this, the Minister listed out a five-point agenda for youth which included educating them, providing them health, empowering them with skill development, improving the child sex ratio by empowering women and sustainability in every sphere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!