India set to get N-submarine from Russia
Moscow: The Russian navy will formally
commission the Akula-II class Nerpa nuclear attack submarine
in December for the subsequent lease to India early next year,
a top Russian official has said.
"The submarine has undergone a range of sea trials,
and state tests will begin in late October or early November,
after which the Nerpa will be commissioned by the Pacific
Fleet," a naval spokesman was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.
It said the navy will formally commission the Akula-II
class nuclear submarine in December for the subsequent lease
to India early next year.
The Indian crew would undergo a course of training
together with Russian specialists and servicemen in early
2010. After training the Indian crew would sail on their own
under the supervision of Russian instructors.
On completion of the training of the Indian crew, the
submarine will be leased to the Indian Navy under the name INS
The delivery of the submarine was delayed due to an
onboard accident in November last during the sea trials, when
accidental release of lethal Freon gas had killed 20 civilian
technical staff and crew members.
During Defence Minister A K Antony`s talks in Moscow
this week, his Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov assured
that Moscow would try to make up for the delay at the
India has said it will work with "time-tested friend"
Russia in 31 new areas under a 10-year military agreement to
be sealed during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit here
this year end, when an after-sales support deal for Russian
defence equipment will also be inked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday