India set to get N-submarine from Russia
Moscow: The Russian navy will formally
commission the Akula-II class Nerpa nuclear attack submarine
in December for the subsequent lease to India early next year,
a top Russian official has said.
"The submarine has undergone a range of sea trials,
and state tests will begin in late October or early November,
after which the Nerpa will be commissioned by the Pacific
Fleet," a naval spokesman was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.
It said the navy will formally commission the Akula-II
class nuclear submarine in December for the subsequent lease
to India early next year.
The Indian crew would undergo a course of training
together with Russian specialists and servicemen in early
2010. After training the Indian crew would sail on their own
under the supervision of Russian instructors.
On completion of the training of the Indian crew, the
submarine will be leased to the Indian Navy under the name INS
The delivery of the submarine was delayed due to an
onboard accident in November last during the sea trials, when
accidental release of lethal Freon gas had killed 20 civilian
technical staff and crew members.
During Defence Minister A K Antony`s talks in Moscow
this week, his Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov assured
that Moscow would try to make up for the delay at the
India has said it will work with "time-tested friend"
Russia in 31 new areas under a 10-year military agreement to
be sealed during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit here
this year end, when an after-sales support deal for Russian
defence equipment will also be inked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan