India should be ready for more terrorist attacks: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Saturday warned of more terrorist attacks and infiltration bids along the Line of Control that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan, but said the armed forces were prepared to counter these threats.
"In the last two months, the attempts to infiltrate into Kashmir have increased. The trend will continue as those inimical to our country see that the situation in Kashmir is improving and they cannot tolerate it," Antony told reporters here.
"India has to be ready for more attempts at infiltration and terrorist attacks, and we assure that the armed forces will take every step to counter them," he said, speaking on the sidelines of a function organised by the India chapter of an NGO, Transparency International.
The Defence Minister visited Kashmir earlier this month to assess the security situation in the valley.
During his visit, Antony said that the local police would be given more responsibility for law and order but after reviewing the security situation.
Last year, the armed forces withdrew nearly 30,000 troops from Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’