India should be ready for more terrorist attacks: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Saturday warned of more terrorist attacks and infiltration bids along the Line of Control that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan, but said the armed forces were prepared to counter these threats.
"In the last two months, the attempts to infiltrate into Kashmir have increased. The trend will continue as those inimical to our country see that the situation in Kashmir is improving and they cannot tolerate it," Antony told reporters here.
"India has to be ready for more attempts at infiltration and terrorist attacks, and we assure that the armed forces will take every step to counter them," he said, speaking on the sidelines of a function organised by the India chapter of an NGO, Transparency International.
The Defence Minister visited Kashmir earlier this month to assess the security situation in the valley.
During his visit, Antony said that the local police would be given more responsibility for law and order but after reviewing the security situation.
Last year, the armed forces withdrew nearly 30,000 troops from Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards