India should develop competent technologies: Kakodkar
Chennai: Citing development of
high-temperature nuclear reactor technology by China, Atomic
Energy Commission Chairman Anil Kakodkar on Monday said India
should also produce such competent technologies to progress
"In a country like ours, (where) we are on a rapid growth
path, I think it`s important for us to graduate to next
level", he said at a function in the IIT, Madras, here.
The reactor technology was developed by a university in
China as part of a national effort, he said adding academic
institutions had a greater role to play in the development of
With national support, newer technologies could be
developed and research activities could commence from
universities, he said.
He was speaking at the release of `Golden Jubilee Book
Series` and unveiling of the inaugural issue of International
Journal of `Advances in Engineering Sciences and Applied
Mathematics` brought out by the IIT-M.
Kakodkar, who is also the Chairman of Board of Governors
of IIT, Bombay, said the book series would lead to the
`sharpening of research activities`. "I hope it will attract
more people to engage on research (based) activities."
IIT-M Director M S Ananth said the journal would be
available free-of-cost and initially 500 copies would be
printed and distributed to various universities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons