India should develop competent technologies: Kakodkar
Chennai: Citing development of
high-temperature nuclear reactor technology by China, Atomic
Energy Commission Chairman Anil Kakodkar on Monday said India
should also produce such competent technologies to progress
"In a country like ours, (where) we are on a rapid growth
path, I think it`s important for us to graduate to next
level", he said at a function in the IIT, Madras, here.
The reactor technology was developed by a university in
China as part of a national effort, he said adding academic
institutions had a greater role to play in the development of
With national support, newer technologies could be
developed and research activities could commence from
universities, he said.
He was speaking at the release of `Golden Jubilee Book
Series` and unveiling of the inaugural issue of International
Journal of `Advances in Engineering Sciences and Applied
Mathematics` brought out by the IIT-M.
Kakodkar, who is also the Chairman of Board of Governors
of IIT, Bombay, said the book series would lead to the
`sharpening of research activities`. "I hope it will attract
more people to engage on research (based) activities."
IIT-M Director M S Ananth said the journal would be
available free-of-cost and initially 500 copies would be
printed and distributed to various universities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda