`India should enhance defence ties with Vietnam’
New Delhi: Ahead of Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang`s visit here next week, several security experts and former diplomats on Friday favoured deeper strategic ties, particularly in defence sector with the South East Asian nation.
Addressing a workshop on India-Vietnam Cooperation, former foreign secretary MK Rasgotra sought stronger "security dimension" between the two countries, identifying Vietnam as a key player in the South China Sea region.
Former deputy national security adviser Leena Ponappa said India`s relations with Vietnam are a "partnership which is more than China" and are is based on "shared mindset".
Noting that energy security was key to India`s future, she said Vietnam is a "phenomenally productive country" and India must enhance cooperation with it in various areas, including defence sector.
These suggestions were made amidst controversy over oil exploration by India in Vietnamese oil blocks in the South China Sea with Chinese authorities raising objections claiming that it was their area.
However, the claim was rejected by both India and Vietnam saying as per the UN the blocks belong to Vietnam.
Seeking deepening of defence ties, particularly in maritime security sector, security expert C Raja Mohan said India could even help Vietnam in space technology and in the civil nuclear field by enhancing capacity building.
All the speakers said South China Sea was key for all the countries in the region and Vietnam having a coastline of 3,100 km is nation from security point of view.
Raja Mohan said China is apparently wary about a proposal to sell Brahmos missile systems to Vietnam by India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India