India should focus on innovation, not outsourcing: V K Singh
Guwahati: India should focus more on innovation to make it a centre of industrial activities instead of just becoming a mere destination of outsourcing, DONER Minister Gen (retd) Vijay Kumar Singh said on Sunday.
"Technology development can take place through imitation, transplantation and innovation. Becoming a mere destination for outsourcing should not be the goal of India. Ownership and pride lie not in imitation and transplantation of technology, but in innovation," Singh said at the 16th convocation the IIT-Guwahati.
The Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DONER) said the country needed to devote its energy to the manufacturing sector with efficient and robust processing techniques.
"There is an overriding priority to undertake technology development in different fields and make India a nerve centre of our industrial activities," he added.
To remain at the forefront of technological and scientific developments, research in institutions like IITs demand for international collaboration and the association with the industry, he said.
"Knowledge is recognised as a key resource for achieving economic growth and social development. The knowledge revolution has restructured manufacturing processes, redistributed markets, redefined relations among nations and refined methods of governance," the former Army chief said.
The Chairman of the Board of Governors of IIT-Guwahati R P Singh said the institute would create a centre for art and culture soon to harness the talent of the north eastern region.
During the convocation, a total of 1,232 students were conferred degrees for successful completion of BTech, BDes, MTech, MDes, MSc, MA and PhD courses from IIT-Guwahati.
In 2013-14 financial year, the premier institute spent a total of Rs 336.17 crore compared to Rs 271.67 crore in the previous fiscal, the institute sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon