India should focus on innovation, not outsourcing: V K Singh
Guwahati: India should focus more on innovation to make it a centre of industrial activities instead of just becoming a mere destination of outsourcing, DONER Minister Gen (retd) Vijay Kumar Singh said on Sunday.
"Technology development can take place through imitation, transplantation and innovation. Becoming a mere destination for outsourcing should not be the goal of India. Ownership and pride lie not in imitation and transplantation of technology, but in innovation," Singh said at the 16th convocation the IIT-Guwahati.
The Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DONER) said the country needed to devote its energy to the manufacturing sector with efficient and robust processing techniques.
"There is an overriding priority to undertake technology development in different fields and make India a nerve centre of our industrial activities," he added.
To remain at the forefront of technological and scientific developments, research in institutions like IITs demand for international collaboration and the association with the industry, he said.
"Knowledge is recognised as a key resource for achieving economic growth and social development. The knowledge revolution has restructured manufacturing processes, redistributed markets, redefined relations among nations and refined methods of governance," the former Army chief said.
The Chairman of the Board of Governors of IIT-Guwahati R P Singh said the institute would create a centre for art and culture soon to harness the talent of the north eastern region.
During the convocation, a total of 1,232 students were conferred degrees for successful completion of BTech, BDes, MTech, MDes, MSc, MA and PhD courses from IIT-Guwahati.
In 2013-14 financial year, the premier institute spent a total of Rs 336.17 crore compared to Rs 271.67 crore in the previous fiscal, the institute sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset