India should have halted CBMs with Pak over beheading issue: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: India should have stopped all confidence building steps with Pakistan for the time being and called back its envoy there over beheading of an Indian soldier by Pakistani forces, BJP President Rajnath Singh said on Saturday.
Addressing a seminar on the condition of minorities in Pakistan, Singh said the "will power and conviction" needed to deal with Pakistan was lacking in the UPA government.
He referred to the recent incident in the Poonch sector of Kashmir where two Indian soldiers were killed by Pakistani army regulars and the head of one, Hemraj, was taken away by them.
"I feel that the way India should have protested and opposed this- not only with Pakistan but also at the international forum- it did not do. For the time being, India should have said that it is stopping all the on-going confidence building process. I am not saying forever but for the time being," Singh said.
He further maintained that India should have also "scaled down the diplomatic relations" with Pakistan.
"India should have also said that it is calling back its Ambassador to Pakistan immediately. Government of India could not register the strong protest that it should have," Singh said.
The BJP leader alleged that the failures of the UPA government and its policies were responsible for the minorities in Pakistan not being safe there.
He said that it was high time that India developed a refugee rehabilitation policy for the minorities who are fleeing Pakistan and coming to India.
"These people should be given citizenship of India. If our party comes to power, we will not take this issue lightly. We will do what we can and will not be concerned about its impact at the international fora," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- A Flying Jatt tweet review: First day first show
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan