India should have halted CBMs with Pak over beheading issue: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: India should have stopped all confidence building steps with Pakistan for the time being and called back its envoy there over beheading of an Indian soldier by Pakistani forces, BJP President Rajnath Singh said on Saturday.
Addressing a seminar on the condition of minorities in Pakistan, Singh said the "will power and conviction" needed to deal with Pakistan was lacking in the UPA government.
He referred to the recent incident in the Poonch sector of Kashmir where two Indian soldiers were killed by Pakistani army regulars and the head of one, Hemraj, was taken away by them.
"I feel that the way India should have protested and opposed this- not only with Pakistan but also at the international forum- it did not do. For the time being, India should have said that it is stopping all the on-going confidence building process. I am not saying forever but for the time being," Singh said.
He further maintained that India should have also "scaled down the diplomatic relations" with Pakistan.
"India should have also said that it is calling back its Ambassador to Pakistan immediately. Government of India could not register the strong protest that it should have," Singh said.
The BJP leader alleged that the failures of the UPA government and its policies were responsible for the minorities in Pakistan not being safe there.
He said that it was high time that India developed a refugee rehabilitation policy for the minorities who are fleeing Pakistan and coming to India.
"These people should be given citizenship of India. If our party comes to power, we will not take this issue lightly. We will do what we can and will not be concerned about its impact at the international fora," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?