India should make its secret service effective: SP
New Delhi: In the wake of an Indian woman diplomat arrested on charge of spying for Pakistan, an SP member said in the Lok Sabha that India should make its secret
service effective in countries where it has diplomatic missions.
"In all those countries where India has a diplomatic establishment, our secret service should be made very efficient and effective," Shailendra Kumar said during Zero
He regretted that despite the commendable work done by our secret services, the intelligence inputs provided by them are ignored by the authorities. He maintained that when these inputs were acted upon, lives of thousands of people were saved.
Kumar congratulated the secret service for the arrest of 53-year-old Madhuri Gupta, Second Secretary in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.
Sumitra Mahajan (BJP) said in the forthcoming Commonwealth Games, a foreign private firm - Sports Marketing and Management Company - has been given the contract for getting advertisements from abroad for the event but was only roping in Indian PSUs.
"These PSUs are giving a high commission ranging from 15 to 22 per cent to this company. Why is a foreign firm being given so much commission?" she asked.
She suggested that this firm should get advertisements from foreign companies as this was the idea behind the contract.
Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo (BJD) demanded a special development package for Kalahandi, Bolangir and Koraput (KBK) districts of Orissa which come under the top ten most backward districts of the country. The special package should be on the lines of the funds provided to Bundelkhand and Bihar.
"I would urge the Central government to provide the package of Rs 4,550 Crore be given to the state at the earliest," he said.
Lal Singh (Cong) demanded that the vice chancellor of the newly formed Central university in Jammu should be a local person as none of the universities, including technical universities, has a native of the state as vice-chancellor.
Rama Devi (BJP) said the Indo-Nepal border was being used for smuggling fake currency and criminals cross the border after committing crime and use Nepal as a place for hiding from law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened