`India should speed up indigenisation of defence`
New Delhi: To expedite indigenisation of
the defence industry, government agencies should ensure smooth
Transfer of Technology (ToT) through increased participation
of private sector in the country, Chief of Integrated Staff
Committee (CISC) Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha said on Friday.
"We envisage that Indian companies both in private and
public sector will work together either through joint ventures
or workable PPP model to achieve this objective (of
indigenisation)," Sinha said addressing an international
seminar on Defence Technology.
He said our goal to provide 70 per cent indigenous
weapons to our armed forces is far from achieved.
The two-day seminar is being organised by Centre for
Joint Warfare Studies (CENJOWS), a defence think tank, which
has commissioned a research on reversal of defence imports
from present 70 per cent to targeted 30 per cent. The
post-doctoral study is being headed by Group Captain B S
On increased participation of Small and Medium
Enterprises in defence sector, Sinha said, "The fundamental
strength of Indian industries exists in its vibrant SMEs which
have remained as important supply source of components and
sub-components for aerospace to DPSUs, DRDO, ISRO etc."
These companies are modernising with cutting edge
technologies, transforming themselves into major players and
in the process becoming suppliers for global defence companies
vying to outsource products and components from India, he
Major General (Retd) K B Kapoor, Director CENJOWS, said,
"Presently, 70 per cent of our defence equipment is being
imported and only 30 per cent is indigenously produced. We
recommend a roadmap by which India will meet 70 per cent of
its requirement by 2025."
On need to develop self reliance in design and
development of military hardware, Sinha said agencies involved
in this area should have greater synergy to achieve this goal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan