`India should speed up indigenisation of defence`
New Delhi: To expedite indigenisation of
the defence industry, government agencies should ensure smooth
Transfer of Technology (ToT) through increased participation
of private sector in the country, Chief of Integrated Staff
Committee (CISC) Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha said on Friday.
"We envisage that Indian companies both in private and
public sector will work together either through joint ventures
or workable PPP model to achieve this objective (of
indigenisation)," Sinha said addressing an international
seminar on Defence Technology.
He said our goal to provide 70 per cent indigenous
weapons to our armed forces is far from achieved.
The two-day seminar is being organised by Centre for
Joint Warfare Studies (CENJOWS), a defence think tank, which
has commissioned a research on reversal of defence imports
from present 70 per cent to targeted 30 per cent. The
post-doctoral study is being headed by Group Captain B S
On increased participation of Small and Medium
Enterprises in defence sector, Sinha said, "The fundamental
strength of Indian industries exists in its vibrant SMEs which
have remained as important supply source of components and
sub-components for aerospace to DPSUs, DRDO, ISRO etc."
These companies are modernising with cutting edge
technologies, transforming themselves into major players and
in the process becoming suppliers for global defence companies
vying to outsource products and components from India, he
Major General (Retd) K B Kapoor, Director CENJOWS, said,
"Presently, 70 per cent of our defence equipment is being
imported and only 30 per cent is indigenously produced. We
recommend a roadmap by which India will meet 70 per cent of
its requirement by 2025."
On need to develop self reliance in design and
development of military hardware, Sinha said agencies involved
in this area should have greater synergy to achieve this goal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA