India should take a firm position on Syria: RS members
New Delhi: The issue of unrest in Syria was raised in the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday with a demand made that India should formulate a policy in this regard and take up a position.
Raising the demand during Zero Hour, K C Tyagi (JD-U) said a situation similar to that in 2003, when Iraqi President
Saddam Hussain was ousted by western powers, is brewing in Syria as various western nations are "ganging up" against Damascus with an aim to attack it.
Tyagi demanded a UN delegation be sent to Syria as a legally-elected government was being ousted there. He said India has an important position in the world as it was a non-aligned nation and should firm up a position.
He was joined by some members of Left parties who demanded India take up a forthright position on Syria.
Tyagi said while western countries were getting together against Syria, India should take a position.
Sitaram Yechury (CPI-M) said India should come out with a clear-cut policy on Syria and condemned the attack on Syria.
"I entirely support what he is saying. I think India should take a forthright position today in terms of international relations, what we have always respected that the independence and integrity of an independent, sovereign country no other country can and should intervene or interfere ...The Government of India must come out strongly against all this thing...," Yechury said.
D Raja (CPI) said "the government should take a serious note of it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY