India should take a firm position on Syria: RS members
New Delhi: The issue of unrest in Syria was raised in the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday with a demand made that India should formulate a policy in this regard and take up a position.
Raising the demand during Zero Hour, K C Tyagi (JD-U) said a situation similar to that in 2003, when Iraqi President
Saddam Hussain was ousted by western powers, is brewing in Syria as various western nations are "ganging up" against Damascus with an aim to attack it.
Tyagi demanded a UN delegation be sent to Syria as a legally-elected government was being ousted there. He said India has an important position in the world as it was a non-aligned nation and should firm up a position.
He was joined by some members of Left parties who demanded India take up a forthright position on Syria.
Tyagi said while western countries were getting together against Syria, India should take a position.
Sitaram Yechury (CPI-M) said India should come out with a clear-cut policy on Syria and condemned the attack on Syria.
"I entirely support what he is saying. I think India should take a forthright position today in terms of international relations, what we have always respected that the independence and integrity of an independent, sovereign country no other country can and should intervene or interfere ...The Government of India must come out strongly against all this thing...," Yechury said.
D Raja (CPI) said "the government should take a serious note of it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof