India showcases military acumen, cultural kaleidoscope on 65th Republic Day
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: As India celebrates 65th Republic Day, the true essence of Indian pride came alive on the 8km stretch from Raisina Hills to Red Fort as the marching contingents presented a brilliant display of the country`s military prowess and a kaleidoscope of cultural richness.
Braving the fog and winter chill, proud spectators cheered as the various contingents marched past.
The impressive highlight of this year`s parade was DRDO`s Tejas, the Indian `Light Combat Aircraft` which is believed to be a game changer for India`s air defence preparedness. Other military weapons flaunted by the DRDO at this year`s parade were ‘Arjun Mk-II’, the mark II version of
Indian Main Battle Tank ; a tableau displaying “Astra” and “Helina” missiles and another tableau exhibiting unmanned systems.
Also on display were transport aircraft C-130J Super Hercules and C-17 Globemaster, the recently inducted gems of Indian military kit.
Indian Army showcased T-90 tank `Bheeshma`, multi-launcher rocket system Smerch, Brahmos weapon system and transportable satellite terminals.
Besides, Indian Air Force`s grand tableau that was based on the theme of transformation of the IAF over the past eighty years, Indian Navy showcased a miniature model of INS Arihant - India`s first indigenously built nuclear-powered submarine.
Having showcased the nation`s military might, the parade shifted to presenting a visual delight of colourful state tableaux, which brought out the grandeur of various cultural colours that make India.
This year, the Republic Day parade witnessed a set of 18 tableaux marching on the Rajpath -13 state tableaux and five of Union Ministries / Departments.
From rain-soaked Meghalaya`s Arecanut to the desert state Rajasthan`s `terah taali` dance form and along `Kawad` art, the state tableaux presented a beautiful view of each state`s cultural speciality.
The chief guest of this year`s parade was witnessed by Japan PM Shinzo Abe, who watched the tableaux along with Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Defence Minister AK Antony, and top political and military brass.
The day began with the PM Manmohan Singh paying homage to the unknown soldier as he laid a floral wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti memorial with the three service chiefs in attendance.
After the President unfurled the tricolour and a customary 21-gun salute, Sub Inspector K Prasad Babu of Andhra Pradesh`s counter-Maoist force - was awarded Ashok Chakra posthumously for having fought Maoists valiantly near Andhra-Chhattisgarh border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt