India shows interest in UK`s task force
London: India has evinced interest in the set up of an anti-extremism task force by the UK following the terror attack on the streets of London in May.
Minority Affairs Minister K Rahman Khan, in London for talks with his ministerial counterparts, has sought information on the Tackling Extremism and Radicalisation Task Force chaired by British Prime Minister David Cameron.
"The task force, constituted immediately after the recent incidents in London, is a very welcome step to contain terrorism. We have promised to use all the details of this task force, which will help us consider a similar task force in India," Khan said on Tuesday in reference to his discussions with UK secretary of state for communities and local government Eric Pickles.
A British soldier Lee Rigby was killed on Woolwich in London by two suspected Islamists in full public view on May 22, following which the government formed the task force to crack down on extremism.
The two ministers also held talks around the UK`s Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) as a model for India`s Equal Opportunities Commission, which will be set up following an approval of the Bill during the next parliamentary session.
"I am here to study the model and have had very interesting discussions. The Indian Cabinet has taken a conscious decision that the Equal Opportunities Commission will be for minorities only, unlike the UK model which has merged all the various rights bodies under one independent body.
"It will also be more powerful and have the right to issue directions that will be binding under the due process of law," Khan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror