India signs civil nuclear deal with S Korea
Seoul: India Monday signed a civil nuclear
cooperation deal with South Korea, allowing a framework for Korean companies to participate in atomic power plant projects in the country.
The agreement was signed after a meeting between
President Pratibha Patil with her South Korean counterpart Lee
South Korea has become the ninth country which had
signed nuclear agreement with India after it got the waiver
from the Nuclear Suppliers` Group (NSG) in 2008.
The others are the US, France, Russia, Canada,
Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Argentina and Namibia, an official said.
South Korea operates 20 nuclear plants that generate
some 35 per cent of its electricity needs, and is keen to
export its technology to fast developing countries like India.
"The two countries have just concluded and signed a
bilateral agreement on cooperation in the peaceful uses of
nuclear energy," said Sanjay Singh, Secretary (East), Ministry
of External Affairs.
"It is like other civil nuclear agreements signed
between India and other countries. We look forward to Republic
of Korea for becoming one more partner in the development of
civil nuclear energy in India," the official said without
divulging further details on the agreement and its mandate but
termed the deal as a "win-win" for both the nations.
Both India and South Korea decided to start talks on
civil nuclear cooperation during a meeting between Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and South Korean President Lee on the
sidelines of the ASEAN Summit in Hanoi in October last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof