India still stuck in 19th century mindset: Pitroda
New Delhi: India faces the challenges of 21st century but still lives with a mindset of 19th century, technology czar Sam Pitroda said on Thursday.
Pitroda, Advisor to the Prime Minister on Public Information Infrastructure and Innovation, said, "We need innovations in all aspects of life, namely, health, governance, energy, infrastructure, etc. There is no other way to face tomorrow."
He was speaking at a function where a `dedicated cooperation agreement` between a French astronomical establishment and Hyderabad-based B M Birla Science Center was signed.
On the occasion, the Uranoscope de France, an organisation working towards promotion of international cooperation in astronomy, also gifted the International Institute of Applicable Mathematics and Information Science (IIAMIS), a constituent of the Birla Science Center, an amateur telescope worth around Rs 10 lakh.
"The idea is to popularise astronomy among the masses, with focus on children," said Sylvian Bouley, Vice President of Uranoscope de France.
B G Sidharth, Director of IIAMIS, said that they are trying to create a dedicated public observatory in which a common man can just walk in and gaze at the phenomenal galaxy thorough this `window`.
"There is a natural ability between the scientist of our countries to cooperate," said the Ambassador of France to India Jerome Bonnafont, adding, "What we need to promote is the exchange of students".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad