India stops new envoy to Italy from taking charge
New Delhi: Amid rising tensions over Italy`s refusal to send back two marines charged with killing of two Indian fisherman off the Kerala coast in February last year, India has stopped its Ambassador-designate to Rome, Basant Kumar Gupta from taking charge.
The new envoy, Basant Kumar Gupta, was due to depart for Rome on Friday. However, Gupta has been told not to leave for Italy, said government sources.
The government has already said that ties with Italy are being reviewed in the wake of the row over the two marines, who were allowed to go back to Italy to vote in the country`s national elections.
On Thursday, the Supreme Court barred Italian ambassador to New Delhi Daniele Mancini from leaving the country.
The two marines - Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone - have been charged with homicide for allegedly killing two fishermen in an anti-piracy operation. Italy claims it has jurisdiction in the case as the incident took place in international waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie