India summons Italian envoy over turban issue
New Delhi: India on Wednesday summoned the Italian
Ambassador here and lodged a strong protest against leading
golfer Jeev Milkha Singh`s coach being asked to take off his
turban during security check at Milan airport.
The envoy Giacomo Sanfelice di Monteforte said the matter
was being investigated to ascertain facts and
The Italian envoy met Vivek Katju, Secretary (West) in
the Ministry of External Affairs, during which India
registered the protest, saying religious sentiments of Indians
need to be respected.
"The matter is very disturbing. Already been brought to
the highest level in Rome and Milano. Investigation is on to
ascertain facts and responsibilities. To this, personally I
add my deep regrets," the Italian Ambassador told reporters
after meeting Katju.
The envoy was called to the South Block, a day after
Jeev Milkha Singh`s coach Amritinder Singh was asked to take
off his turban while undergoing a security check at the Milan
airport, the second time in the last one week.
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna has already
condemned the behavior of airport personnel at Milan, saying
religious sentiments of Indians need to be respected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video