India summons Norway envoy over custody row
New Delhi: India on Wednesday summoned Norwegian
Ambassador Ann Ollestad seeking expeditious solution to the
custody row involving two NRI children, who have been kept in
foster care by the authorities of that country.
The Norwegian Ambassador was summoned to the Ministry of
External Affairs and she met Secretary (West) Madhusudan
Ganapathi, official spokesperson in the MEA Syed Akbaruddin
told reporters here.
The envoy was summoned a day after CPI(M) MP and politburo
member Brinda Karat met External Affairs Minister S M Krishna
and sought government`s immediate intervention in ensuring
early return of two Indian children separated from their
parents last year on the grounds of "emotional disconnect".
She had conveyed her concern over the statement made by a
top Norwegian official that the children will not be sent to
India before April.
Official sources said the ministry asked the envoy as to
why the process of bringing the children together with their
family was taking time.
NRI couple Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya`s children
Abhigyan (3) and Aishwarya (1) were taken away last year by
Barnevarne (Norwegian Child Welfare Services), which claimed
emotional disconnect with the parents, and placed them in
foster parental care according to the local Norwegian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Kejriwal, Mamata to attend Mother Teresa's canonization in Rome on Sept 4
- Flood situation worsens in Assam; Uttarakhand experiences intermittent rain
- Katrina Kaif JOKES about her actual thought behind 'Kala Chashma'—READ inside!
- Two women assaulted at Madhya Pradesh railway station for carrying beef
- Memorial for India's 'missile man': Naidu, Parrikar unveil statue of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram