India summons Norway envoy over custody row
New Delhi: India on Wednesday summoned Norwegian
Ambassador Ann Ollestad seeking expeditious solution to the
custody row involving two NRI children, who have been kept in
foster care by the authorities of that country.
The Norwegian Ambassador was summoned to the Ministry of
External Affairs and she met Secretary (West) Madhusudan
Ganapathi, official spokesperson in the MEA Syed Akbaruddin
told reporters here.
The envoy was summoned a day after CPI(M) MP and politburo
member Brinda Karat met External Affairs Minister S M Krishna
and sought government`s immediate intervention in ensuring
early return of two Indian children separated from their
parents last year on the grounds of "emotional disconnect".
She had conveyed her concern over the statement made by a
top Norwegian official that the children will not be sent to
India before April.
Official sources said the ministry asked the envoy as to
why the process of bringing the children together with their
family was taking time.
NRI couple Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya`s children
Abhigyan (3) and Aishwarya (1) were taken away last year by
Barnevarne (Norwegian Child Welfare Services), which claimed
emotional disconnect with the parents, and placed them in
foster parental care according to the local Norwegian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble