India summons US diplomats, calls snooping on BJP `unacceptable`
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: A day after it came to light that the United States` National Security Agency had been authorised to spy on India`s Bharatiya Janata Party, the government on Wednesday summoned top US diplomats here and raised the issue.
As per PTI, New Delhi categorically told the US diplomats that snooping of BJP was “unacceptable”.
“We expect a response to be provided to us, and if these are true, an assurance that this will not happen in the future," an official told Reuters, informing about the discussions at the meeting.
The United States does not currently have an ambassador in New Delhi and its most senior diplomat is the charge d`affaires.
The government at the Centre is currently led by the BJP.
New Delhi`s move came hours after it emerged that the Indian government was planning to lodge a strong protest with the US in connection with the issue.
The Central government is also likely to take up the matter with US Secretary of State John Kerry, who is likely to travel to India soon.
The BJP was among six non-US political parties for which authorisation was given to NSA to spy upon, reports had claimed.
The revelations were made in data issued to the media by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.
The data published in Monday`s edition of `The Washington Post` shows that the US’ Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court permitted the NSA to covertly spy upon not just these six political parties but also upon 193 foreign governments, including that of India.
The other five political parties to spy upon which the NSA had been given permission were Amal of Lebanon, the Bolivarian Continental Coordinator of Venezuela, the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, the Egyptian National Salvation Front, and the Pakistan People’s Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP