India `surprised` by influx of Pakistani Hindus
New Delhi:India has been taken by surprise by the recent development of a large number of Pakistani Hindus declaring their wish to stay on its soil after crossing over and will look into the issue.
Government sources said today that Hindus from Pakistan who are visiting India for pilgrimage were given visas like any other Pakistani nationals, and the developments that followed were somewhat unexpected.
"This comes unexpectedly that such a large number say they do not want to return," the sources said.
"In terms of the people turning up, there has been an element of surprise for all of us. Last year too we had visitors, but there was no influx, apart from one particular case".
They said the families, who had communicated their desire to stay through the media, were yet to approach the Indian government officially, and once they do, the issue and its implications would be looked into.
Commenting on India`s overall refugee policy, the sources said by and large India does not send back people fleeing persecution but deals on a case by case basis.
"At the same time, we try not to become a magnate," said sources, pointing out that India is currently also dealing with the issue of Rohingyas from Myanmar, a dispute it is not party to.
A large number of Pakistani Hindu families have crossed over into India in recent days, and Pakistani Interior Minister had alleged that he suspected a "conspiracy" in the giving of visas to a large number of people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in