India takes note of UK House discussing J&K rights
New Delhi: India on Thursday said it has taken "due note" of House of Commons of UK Parliament discussing issue of human rights in Jammu and Kashmir and asserted there were effective mechanisms within its democratic framework to address any grievance or any aberration.
"We take due note of the proposed debate in the UK House of Commons later today, which we believe is an initiative of back-bencher MPs and does not reflect the position of the UK government.”
"Our views in the matter are known to the UK. Suffice it to say at this juncture that India is a vibrant democracy which fully respects rule of law and human rights. Civil liberties and freedoms are enshrined in the Constitution of India as fundamental rights and are exercised by each and every citizen of this country of 1.2 billion people," Official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs Vishnu Prakash said.
"Should there be any aberration, there are enough mechanisms, effective mechanisms within our system, democratic framework to address any grievance or any aberrations," government sources said.
India`s reaction came after the House of Commons in the UK Parliament decided to discuss the alleged human rights violations in Jammu and Kashmir.
The issue was listed for a discussion in the Backbench Business-- (i) Motion relating to food security and famine prevention in Africa (ii) general debate on human rights in the Indian sub-continent.
Conservative MP Steve Baker, along with four other MPs, has given a notice for the debate in the House of Commons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’