India takes up with SL issue of arrest of TN fishermen
New Delhi: India has taken up with authorities in Colombo the issue of arrest of 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits yesterday, Ministry of External Affairs said here on Monday.
Consul from Consulate General of India in Jaffna is going to Mania since the fishermen would be produced before the Mannar Judicial Magistrate court, MEA sources said.
"We are actively working on this. Our High Commission has also taken up their release with Sri Lankan authorities in Colombo," the ministry sources said.
Sri Lankan Naval personnel allegedly attacked some fishing boats and arrested 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits, fisheries department officials had said yesterday.
The Lankan Navy also seized five boats, officials said.
Rameswaram Fishermen`s Association President Emirett said the Lankan naval men attacked 20 other fishing boats and seized the fishing nets.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living