India takes up with SL issue of arrest of TN fishermen
New Delhi: India has taken up with authorities in Colombo the issue of arrest of 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits yesterday, Ministry of External Affairs said here on Monday.
Consul from Consulate General of India in Jaffna is going to Mania since the fishermen would be produced before the Mannar Judicial Magistrate court, MEA sources said.
"We are actively working on this. Our High Commission has also taken up their release with Sri Lankan authorities in Colombo," the ministry sources said.
Sri Lankan Naval personnel allegedly attacked some fishing boats and arrested 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits, fisheries department officials had said yesterday.
The Lankan Navy also seized five boats, officials said.
Rameswaram Fishermen`s Association President Emirett said the Lankan naval men attacked 20 other fishing boats and seized the fishing nets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen