India takes up with SL issue of arrest of TN fishermen
New Delhi: India has taken up with authorities in Colombo the issue of arrest of 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits yesterday, Ministry of External Affairs said here on Monday.
Consul from Consulate General of India in Jaffna is going to Mania since the fishermen would be produced before the Mannar Judicial Magistrate court, MEA sources said.
"We are actively working on this. Our High Commission has also taken up their release with Sri Lankan authorities in Colombo," the ministry sources said.
Sri Lankan Naval personnel allegedly attacked some fishing boats and arrested 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits, fisheries department officials had said yesterday.
The Lankan Navy also seized five boats, officials said.
Rameswaram Fishermen`s Association President Emirett said the Lankan naval men attacked 20 other fishing boats and seized the fishing nets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday