India third in rape cases, second in murder in the world: UN report
New Delhi: India figures third among top 10 countries where highest number of rape have taken place in 2010 while in cases of murder, the country comes second in 2012, Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said according to UN Crime Trends Survey 2010, the US recorded 85,593 cases of rape in that year followed by Brazil with 41,180 rape cases.
A total of 22,172 rape cases were registered in India in 2010, he said.
The UN data said in the US, 27.3 rape cases were reported per lakh population, followed by 21.09 in Brazil and in case of India, there were 1.8 cases of rape per lakh population.
The United Kingdom has reported 15,892 cases of rape in 2010 (28.8 cases of rape in per lakh population) and in Mexico, there were 14,993 cases of rape (13.2 cases of rape in per lakh population).
France has reported 10,108 cases of rape, which is 16.2 cases of rape in per lakh population.
There were 7,724 cases of rape in Germany, 5,960 cases of rape in Sweden (63.5 cases of rape in every lakh population), 4,907 cases of rape in Russian Federation, 4,718 cases of rape in Philippines and 3,157 cases of rape in Colombia.
Among the murder cases, the UN report said the highest number of murder had taken place in Brazil (50,108) in 2012, followed by India (43,335).
A total of 33,817 cases of murder had taken place in Nigeria, 26,037 cases in Mexico, 18,586 cases in Congo, 16,259 in South Africa, 14,670 in Colombia and 13,846 cases of murder in Pakistan in 2012, the Minister said quoting the Global Study on Homicide, UNODC 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation