India to assist Fiji in conduct of general elections
New Delhi: India will assist Fiji in conduct of its general elections in September which will include providing indelible ink and imparting training to election and parliamentary officials.
India has also provided eight vehicles to the country as part of its assistance programme for conduct of the elections to be held on September 17. The vehicles would be used for voter awareness programme.
Indian High Commissioner Vinod Kumar today handed over the Mahindra vehicles to the Fijian Elections Office in presence of Attorney General and Minister for Elections Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum.
India will provide two more vehicles to the election autjorities.
"In addition, India will also provide indelible ink for the elections, besides training to election and Parliamentary officials," the Ministry of External Affairs said.
Attorney General and Supervisor of Elections Mohammed Saneem expressed gratitude to the Government of India for providing the vehicles and being supportive of Fiji as it holds "the first truly democratic elections".
A coup had ousted democratically-elected government of Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase in December 2006. The Commonwealth had suspended Fiji`s membership from the grouping in 2009 after the government refused to hold polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview