India to back Palestine`s full UN membership bid
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday said India will continue to support Palestine`s bid for full and equal membership of the United Nations.
"India had played an active role in supporting the efforts of the State of Palestine to secure full membership status at UNESCO. We will continue to support Palestine`s bid for full and equal membership of the United Nations," said Dr Singh in his statement during the state visit of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
"We also look forward to early resumption of peace talks between the Palestinians and Israelis leading to a comprehensive resolution between the two sides," he added.
Dr Singh said that he had very fruitful discussions with the visiting Palestinian President.
"President Abbas and I have held useful discussions aimed at further expanding and strengthening the India-Palestine partnership, which is rooted in history and flows from our national ethos," he said.
Asserting that the support for the Palestinian cause has been a cornerstone of India`s foreign policy, Dr Singh said: "During our meeting, I reiterated India`s firm support for the struggle of the Palestinian people to achieve a sovereign, independent, viable and united state of Palestine with East Jerusalem as its capital, living within secure and recognized borders, side by side and at peace with Israel."
The Prime Minister said India would bilaterally continue to support the development and nation-building efforts of Palestine.
"The MOUs signed today are indicative of our commitment to contribute in the areas of Information and Communication Technology, vocational training and education," said Dr Singh.
"The Government of India will also contribute USD 10 million to Palestine`s budget for this year to help address its financial requirements," he added.
Dr Singh said that he also exchanged views with President Abbas on regional developments, particularly the developments in the West Asian and the Gulf region.
"There is a great degree of similarity in our views. We both agree that the developments in the region must be addressed through political dialogue and peaceful means without recourse to violence and outside interference, while taking into account the legitimate aspirations of all people," said Dr Singh.
"I look forward to working together with President Abbas to further carry forward our special bilateral relations," he added.
The Prime Minister further said President Abbas will inaugurate the new Palestinian Embassy building later in the day, which has been built with Indian support.
"The building is a symbol of the enduring friendship between our two countries and peoples," he added.
Earlier in the day, President Abbas received a ceremonial reception at the Rashtrapati Bhawan here this morning.
He was received by President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Singh at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
He inspected the guard of honour and also met members of the Indian Cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow