‘India to bolster infrastructure along borders’
New Delhi: Cautioning that China`s rise and its regional assertiveness have implications for the entire neighborhood, Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday said India will continue to bolster its infrastructure and capabilities in border areas.
"We are aware of China`s increase in defence spending for modernisation of its armed forces," Antony said addressing the top army commanders on the first day of a three-day conference here.
He said the government has provided all possible support to modernise and enhance defence capabilities to successfully meet the security challenges.
Inaugurating the three-day Army Commander`s Conference here, Antony said, "China`s rise and its regional assertiveness have significant implications for the entire region... We will continue to bolster our infrastructure and strengthen our capabilities along the border areas."
However, he said, "Our efforts are focused on safeguarding our security interests and not dictated by what other nations are doing."
Flagging off the areas of concerns for the commanders, he said, "Cross border linkages of terror organisations, arms and drug trafficking and illegal migration are major areas of concern. Developing friendly, peaceful relations with all our neighbours is singularly crucial to our security."
On modernisation plan for the Indian Army, he said several proposals by the force are under implementation and some of them are expected to be cleared in the days ahead.
Antony said, "The progress and prosperity of our nation depends on the security and stability of our immediate and extended neighborhood."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte says Southeast Asia will insist China respects sea ruling
- PC shipment grew 7.2% in Q2 2016, HP leads: IDC
- Army asks police to find if drones being flown in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- CRPF trooper killed in landslide near Vaishno Devi shrine
- Defamation case: Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Mahatma Gandhi's assassination