India to build 34 Naval ships, submarines
New Delhi: Marking a modernisation spree,
Indian Navy is constructing 34 ships and submarines and is in
the process of acquiring aircraft, destroyers and missiles to
equip it to meet all challenges.
Addressing top Naval Commanders here, Defence Minister A
K Antony today said thrust was being given to indigenous
capabilities while modernising the force.
"34 ships and submarines are in various stages of
construction at different shipyards. A large number of
contracts have been concluded for acquisition of aircraft,
destroyers, fleet tankers, jet trainers, missiles, UAVs
(unmanned aerial vehicles) and radars," he said.
Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma yesterday said almost
all the naval ships planned to be inducted in the next 15
years would be built in India.
Besides inducting new assets, India is also focusing
on revamping its indigenous ship-building capabilities.
As part of this, Antony last week commissioned the
first-of-its-kind and the biggest ship-lift system at Goa
Shipyard Limited (GSL), which will significantly reduce the
time and effort in repairing ships and constructing new ones.
With a Rs 800 crore and four-phased modernisation plan,
GSL is expected to augment its capacity to fabricate and
construct steel, aluminium and hull of the naval vessels to
nearly three times.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents