India to commission art gallery, Buddha statue in Lanka
New Delhi: India will hold an international
conference in Sri Lanka in March to observe the 2600th year
of the enlightenment of Lord Buddha and also commission an art
gallery and a 16-feet high Buddha statue there.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Saturday informed Sri
Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa about India`s plans to
organise an exposition of the sacred Kapilavastu relics and
undertaking other activities in that country this year.
The seminar will be held in Kandy next month, a Lok Sabha
Secretariat release said. India is also commissioning a
gallery, including a 16-feet high statue of Lord Buddha, for
the International Buddhist Museum in Kandy.
Kumar is on a three-day visit to Sri Lanka as a guest of
honour in the third Asian Regional Conference of the
Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA).
While interacting with Rajapaksa, the Speaker also said
that she is looking forward to a visit by the Sri Lankan
parliamentarians to India.
Rajapaksa welcomed the Indian developmental activities in
Sri Lanka and agreed that the two sides should promote
On Saturday, Kumar also called on Sri Lankan Prime Minister
D M Jayaratne and discussed matters of bilateral interest with
G L Peiris, the Lankan External Affairs Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results