India to create knowledge based society: Pranab
Godda: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said India is aiming at creating a knowledge-based society by providing skill development training and opportunities to its youth.
Mukherjee, who is on a two-day tour to the state, was speaking while inaugurating a host of development projects in the Santhal Parganas area of Jharkhand.
The projects for which he laid the foundation include a 1,320 MW thermal power plant, a mega textile cluster and a model college and polytechnic college for the area.
"We need to train our youngsters in skill development. This will help them get jobs and contribute in nation building. By the end of the 12th five year plan our target is to create a knowledge based society," he said.
The President also said industrial projects like power plants would act as a catalyst for greater regional development but at the same time the people of the region should also benefit from these development projects.
He stressed that local people should have access to power and electricity. Mukerjee later visited Deoghar district to inaugurate a slew of development projects related to pilgrims convenience and small power projects.
He stressed that solar power should be harnessed more and more for electrification projects.
He also paid obeisance at the famous `Baidyanath dham` temple in Deoghar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt