India to deepen ties with Asia Pacific region
Washington: Ahead of the India-Japan-US
trilateral scheduled in Washington later this month, a top
Indian diplomat here termed the Asia-Pacific region as the
"center of gravity" for global opportunities, and said New
Delhi would deepen its engagement with the region.
"As we move towards an Asia-Pacific century, India will
continue to deepen its engagement with the region as well as
contribute to its overall prosperity, stability and security,"
the Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, said at
University of California-Berkeley on Monday.
Washington would host the tri-lateral meet on December 19.
"It is well accepted that the Asia-Pacific region on Wednesday is
the center of gravity for global opportunities with its
continued economic growth.
"While the global economic situation is showing several
signs of stress, the emerging market countries in Asia are
growing well and have demonstrated their resilience," the
India, she said, has increasing convergence of interests
with the United States.
"The continuance of economic growth and prosperity in both
our countries is in many ways linked to the Indo-Pacific
"It is necessary in this context that we work together to
manage challenges such as those posed by terrorism, or other
diverse threats to our peace and security," Rao said according
to the transcripts of the speech released on Tuesday.
"We will work together and with other countries of the
region, through forums such as East Asia Summit for evolution
of an open, balanced and inclusive architecture in the region,
so that all stakeholders can make their respective
contributions to regional security.
"In multilateral forums such as the East Asia Summit,
ASEAN Regional Forum or ADMM + 8 processes, there is now a
regular consultation between our two countries and we work
together constructively," she said.
In addition to the intensive bilateral consultations, Rao
said: "We will soon have a trilateral consultation between
India, Japan and the US.
"We witness a greater interest within the countries of
this region in strengthening relations with India, recognising
the strength of India - in terms of the growing size of our
economy, achievements in science and technology and our
contributions for the maintenance of peace and security," Rao
"Our relations with Japan are marked by a harmony of
interests, forged by common democratic values, and a strong
and durable strategic and development partnership.
"Our dialogue with Japan is a key component of our policy
outreach to the Asia-Pacific," Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy