India to deploy aircraft for anti-piracy in the Seychelles
New Delhi: In wake of increasing threats
from sea pirates, India will soon deploy a maritime
surveillance aircraft in the Seychelles to carry out
reconnaissance over its waters and piracy-infested areas of
the Gulf of Aden.
India had promised the Seychelles one Dornier along with
two Chetak helicopters in June last year during the visit of
Defence Minister A K Antony to the Island nation.
The Dornier will soon leave the Indian shores to carry
out its duties in Seychelles, Navy officials said here.
In 2009 also, the Indian Navy had deployed one of its
offshore patrol vessels--INS Savitri--along with a detachment
of marine commandos and Chetak helicopter in the Seychelles to
guard the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
After the pirates started moving away from Somalia due
to increased presence of Navies in the Gulf of Aden, India has
deployed its Navy and the Coast Guard to look after the
Central Arabian Sea and adjoining areas.
To deter, dissuade and prevent hijackings in the Gulf
of Aden, the Indian Navy has deployed a warship continuously
in the Gulf of Aden since October, 2008.
A couple of pirate mother vessels have also been
apprehended and destroyed by the Navy past near Lakshadweep
Islands in the last fortnight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail