India to deploy aircraft for anti-piracy in the Seychelles
New Delhi: In wake of increasing threats
from sea pirates, India will soon deploy a maritime
surveillance aircraft in the Seychelles to carry out
reconnaissance over its waters and piracy-infested areas of
the Gulf of Aden.
India had promised the Seychelles one Dornier along with
two Chetak helicopters in June last year during the visit of
Defence Minister A K Antony to the Island nation.
The Dornier will soon leave the Indian shores to carry
out its duties in Seychelles, Navy officials said here.
In 2009 also, the Indian Navy had deployed one of its
offshore patrol vessels--INS Savitri--along with a detachment
of marine commandos and Chetak helicopter in the Seychelles to
guard the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
After the pirates started moving away from Somalia due
to increased presence of Navies in the Gulf of Aden, India has
deployed its Navy and the Coast Guard to look after the
Central Arabian Sea and adjoining areas.
To deter, dissuade and prevent hijackings in the Gulf
of Aden, the Indian Navy has deployed a warship continuously
in the Gulf of Aden since October, 2008.
A couple of pirate mother vessels have also been
apprehended and destroyed by the Navy past near Lakshadweep
Islands in the last fortnight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion